Saturday, January 13, 2018

George Perez

George Perez's art from Legacies (2010) #5 detailing events from Crisis on Infinite Earths (1985)
George Perez's art from Legacies (2010) #5
Detailing Events from Crisis on Infinite
Earths
(1985)
I ran across this image from DC's Legacies this morning on AlexChung's Tumblr (which he re-posted via BrianMichaelBendis who cites RockofEternity as the source).

(Gotta love how art floats around the interwebs.)

I grew up at the time of George Perez's run on The New Teen Titans in the '80s and fell in love with the complexity and detail he brings to his art.

This piece functions as the cover to Legacies #5, but it also "wraps around" onto the cover of issue #6, so the full piece looks like this:
George Perez's Covers from Legacies (2010) #5 and #6

The glorious rich imagery in this piece is a prime example of Perez's work in the 1980s, and his splash pages/contiguous covers found in The New Teen Titans and Wonder Woman (1987) are absolutely gorgeous.

George Perez's fold out cover from Wonder Woman (1987) #10
George Perez's fold out cover from Wonder Woman (1987) #10

Because I grew up with Perez's art, I still base my assessment on the effectiveness/beauty of a piece in part by the amount of background detail the artist(s) create(s).

I could gush on and on about Perez's work, but as he is one of the most highly respected artists in the biz, there is plenty of gush already going around the internet about his work.

Just let me say that his art equates to my youth in my nostalgic interior universe the same way boxes of mini-Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and Orange Tangy-Taffy do.

No comments:

Post a Comment