Monday, January 1, 2018

Welcoming in the New Year: 2018

Frank Cho's Harley Quinn
Though my hopes for the new year may be dampened somewhat by the radical decline of American democracy, I am looking forward to starting a new year.

I have neglected my blog for far too long and have plenty of art and musings on comics to share.

I have started with Frank Cho's "Harley Quinn 2018" because I really like this piece.

And because I think it is still possible to wrangle with moral complexity and nuance in this day and age -- a skill we, as a country, have been sorely neglecting of late.

It is possible to disagree, and disagree on profoundly important subjects, and still treat each other with respect.

I like Cho's art. I don't like how he handled criticism of the industry's propensity to depict women as scantily clad eye candy. But there is undeniable beauty & story & humor in his art.

And it is also possible to love something and still apply a critical lens to analyze all aspects of that thing we love, including the creators who make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment