Saturday, October 17, 2015

FALL 1.0

As I languish in the morass of awaiting a disability appeal, I have taken up "gardening" for 20-30 minutes at a stretch on my better days.

My gardening is very hands on as I cannot wield any of the heavy equipment designed for such work. Thus, I mostly pick out weeds and clip hedges with a handheld clipper while sitting on my ass.

(And, yes, I have been mocked by friendly neighbors for working from my ass-down position.)

While slow and arduous, I made progress on the lawn over the summer with my compulsive tidying -- which stemmed from my absolute boredom at watching Sadie Mae stare (with a commitment bordering on the obsessive) at the drainage ports down which shrews and chipmunks made their escape from her tireless pursuit.

Fall, however, has turned my "hobby" into a true meditation on accepting the fruitlessness of my former perfectionism. As quickly as I tidy, the winds and nature undo my fine work and invite me to try again.

The red handles in the lower right
corner 
belong to a trash bag full
of the leaves of my labors

.
This was a groovy meditation to work to when it took three days or so for the leaves to pile up again, but now-- whoa!

I shall illustrate with before and after pictures.

Here's the tidied version of our front entryway after being cleared:


And here's the same entryway a short while later on the very same day:

Mere moments later...

...loads of leaves hiding in the hosta


Sadie Mae, who has lost 3 lbs on the healthier diet at our new abode, waiting at her post for chipmunks to miraculously appear despite her vigilant presence:

The formerly 20-lb sausage that is Sadie Mae

No comments:

Post a Comment